New Features?

Coordinator
Jun 14, 2008 at 5:47 AM
List your ideas for new features here, and when we've decided on cool ones, we'll put them in the Issue Tracker.
Jun 30, 2008 at 11:33 AM
Edited Jun 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM
My first suggestion comes from observing my baby play with it.
She loved scrolling the mouse wheel (3rd button) and I don't think anything was happening.
I can't think of anything cool to do with the mouse wheel, as I write, but I'll think about it.
Coordinator
Jun 30, 2008 at 9:55 PM
ScrollWheel! GREAT idea! Thanks, I'll add that to the queue.
Jul 1, 2008 at 3:09 AM
I've added some ideas for the ScrollWheel to the comments of the Issue Scroll Wheel Issue and I've downloaded VS2008-C#Express so I'll have a play/think about implementing it, just to get started on working with the code.
Jul 8, 2008 at 3:05 AM
I tweaked a version for my daughter to use ImageBrushes of various smiling baby faces for the fill "colors" of the Figures (the non-letter keys).  She loves it.  It was a very straightforward update.  Just thought I'd pass that along in case it you found it worth while to add.  I can send the code if you're interested.
Coordinator
Jul 8, 2008 at 4:48 AM

cvarro wrote:
I tweaked a version for my daughter to use ImageBrushes of various smiling baby faces for the fill "colors" of the Figures (the non-letter keys).  She loves it.  It was a very straightforward update.  Just thought I'd pass that along in case it you found it worth while to add.  I can send the code if you're interested.

Great idea! Yes, put it http://www.codeplex.com/babysmash/SourceControl/PatchList.aspx
Jul 10, 2008 at 10:05 PM
Moving the mouse slowly produces a mostly black trail because of the thick black border around the circle. I changed the StrokeThickness of the MouseDraw circle to zero, this gives a much nicer mouse trail if the mouse is not being moved so fast!
Coordinator
Jul 11, 2008 at 2:28 AM

asgaut wrote:
Moving the mouse slowly produces a mostly black trail because of the thick black border around the circle. I changed the StrokeThickness of the MouseDraw circle to zero, this gives a much nicer mouse trail if the mouse is not being moved so fast!

Good point! I'll add this to the Issue Tracker.
Dec 5, 2011 at 8:47 AM

When pressing keys that display the random shapes (and name them), I'd like it to also be able to show short strings and say them, like the child's name:  I would add a button to the options screen for customizing this list with another dialog (so you can enter your child's names, or whatever you wish).

A short queue of the letters pressed could be kept, and do a dictionary comparison looking for short words (or the above custom words) recently typed, so if a (sanitization-safe) word is typed then the word is printed and spoken too.

There could be a pentagon shape.

The eyes/faces on the shapes could be randomized instead of always having the same eyes and mouth on each shape.

The shapes could enter with a variety of entrance effects, such as "zooming in from tiny spot" or "slide in from random edge of screen" or a random combination of such effects (including the current spin-in).

Specific key(s) could do more specific/interesting things, like shatter one of the existing shapes on screen (Spacebar?)

The simultaneous preparation of speech could be better throttled (IE ignore some speech if the active speech set is getting too large) to avoid large smash sequences from resulting in speech lag then a sudden burst of overlapping speech.  (Maybe that's more a bug report.)