Review patches?

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Please review and pull in the stagnant backlog of patches.  Alternatively, can we open this project up to allow others to commit directly, etc?

Coordinator
Apr 23, 2012 at 7:15 AM
Why not fork the code?

--
Scott Hanselman

On Apr 23, 2012, at 12:01 AM, "Karak" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Please review and pull in the stagnant backlog of patches. Alternatively, can we open this project up to allow others to commit directly, etc?

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I've finally done this and made a pull request :)

Next up, I'd like to make sure things I work on (if I continue) are likely candidates to be pulled. Let me know if any of these are something you wouldn't want to pull:

* Upgrade to VS2010 or VS2012.

* Actually target .NET Framework 4 (CF) as the hanselman page suggests is a prereq.

* Adding pentagon.

* Having the 10-key pad show numbers instead of shapes.

* When detecting a typed word, animating the letters into the word and speech-synthing the word instead of the letter (excluding a blacklist of bad words).

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Edited Sep 14, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Very cool! I’m a *little* afraid to touch this code just because it’s been fine for literally YEARS and there’s THOUSANDS of people using it…by that I mean, if we do publish a new version with ClickOnce, the whole world could fall apart. I don’t even know if it’s 3.5SP1 or 4.0 now. I suspect the former.

I’ll take a look at this code this week and see if it’s cool. I’m sure I can commit it all and test it (although the framework version issue is a big one…maybe this is BabySmash v2 (like a separate download, rather than upgrading all clients – thoughts?))

FYI – Me and another guy are considering a BabySmash Windows 8 version as well. He’s got a JS version. Where you located? I’m trying to figure out how to coordinate this new interest.

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:31 AM

One nice thing with ClickOnce is that it's easy to "roll back" the world too, just by modifying the published manifest file.  So if people get broken and report it, it's a simple matter to have the auto-updating mechanism get everyone back into good shape.

That said, indeed framework re-targeting probably shouldn't be done lightly, although I am guessing ClickOnce would take care of pulling in the new prereq automatically if we changed to 4.0 and the user didn't have that yet.  (The code I forked was a VS2008 solution targeting 3.5 and IIRC VS2008 can't even target 4.0 normally so I'm guessing the published version is indeed 3.5, unless you had an uncommitted conversion.)

All in all, I think if we want to gear up for possible Windows 8 support or other notable developments, it may make sense to go with the v2 route now as a separate download path, w/targeting .NET 4.0 (CF?) right from the start.  (If it wasn't clear, the list I made are things that I'm thinking about doing, not things I've done yet. Except 10-key as numbers, which I did today.)

I'll PM personal info.  :)